726-798 Georgetown St. Lexington, Kentucky
Frederick Douglass Park was opened in 1916 when a prominent African-American grocer sold the 25 acre site to the city of Lexington for the purpose of establishing the first African-American park in the Bluegrass. In its early history, it staged multiple uses for the black community. It served as a place to gather and have meetings; hold summer carnivals and parades; have church and family reunions, band concerts, and talent and entertainment programs; as well as recreational activities for adults and children.
The facilities include:
3 ball fields
2 tennis courts
Article regarding Douglass Park from the Lexington Herald Leader:
7/9/1930 “Colored Notes” [COMMUNITY SERVICE LEAGUE.] [Leader. p. 18 col. 4-5]
The Fourth of July program given by all playgrounds at Douglass park was a success. The baseball game was attended by a nice crowd. The game was full of pep and enthusiasm from beginning to end, the result being 14 to 13 in favor of Douglass park team. The teams playing were Douglass park vs South End. Spectators were entertained with a patriotic pageant in front of the community house, given by the children of the city playgrounds. Several folk dances were given. Patriotic songs were sung by all.
Information courtesy of Fayette County Public Schools, Lexington, KY.
Return to the home page of Kentucky Women in the Civil Rights Era.